From: ShellyDalg@aol.com
To: personal_submersibles@psubs.org
Sent: Tue, 19 Sep 2006 9:33 PM
Subject: Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] hydraulic efficiency questions

Hello. I'm not sure if I understand the question, but a cubic foot of air displaces a set amount of water, depending on how compressed the air is. In other words, a cubic foot of water ( which doesn't really compress much ) weighs 62.4 pounds. As a starting point, calculate how much water your sub displaces, weigh the sub with all its parts and occupants and " stuff "  ( again, calculate this rather than building one and putting it on a scale ) and what's left over is the positive buoyancy.
There are conversion charts on the psub site with weights, measures, etc. Down load and print and it will give you a rough idea of how big/heavy a thing is.
Frank D.