Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST]New guy

Hi Dean. Yes, it's possible and I've seen it myself. No modifications to scuba regulators is needed. Just need to adapt the regulator to hose connections, and supply the air to the motor housing. If you can see your thrusters from inside the sub, you'll see a few bubbles coming out. Too many bubbles and the seal is leaking. No bubbles and maybe water is getting in. Not much air is required for this task and some people use a manifold system to connect various tanks together and route air where it's needed. Better to have more air than you need than run short.Remember that scuba air is oil-less, so you can't fill up at the gas station. You said you're a diver, so many of the same rules apply.
I will be using Minnkota motors at first. They're affordable and easy to service.I plan on upgrading to a magnetic coupled motor purpose built for manned submersibles later on. There are several on the market but are pretty pricy.
We just had a string of questions go round about hydraulic motors, and it seems the consensus is the power conversion is low compared to electrics, although there have been some high dollar research subs made using them. From what I've been able to see, the big tourist subs and research subs are being retrofitted with electrics.
If I remember, you're planning on a depth of 400 feet. You'll need lights down there....It's dark!
Again, welcome aboard, and good luck in your adventure.Frank D.