From: empiricus@telus.net
To: personal_submersibles@psubs.org
Sent: Mon, 16 Oct 2006 6:36 AM
Subject: Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST]New guy

Hi, Dean - one more note regarding pressure compensating your motors.

I wouldn't connect your motors to a manifold that leads to the cockpit as
breathing air.  Should something happen to the motor - blown seal,
collision, etc.- you're going to lose your breathing air.

My suggestion?  Have a bottle(s) dedicated to the motors, gauged apart from
your cockpit air.

This may be overkill but you could use a depth gauge to monitor your motor
compensation by running a line from the motor (assuming one motor for the
moment) to your dashboard or outside a front porthole.  The depth gauge
would be exposed to the line by putting it in an enclosed box (plexi?) fed
by the line.  If the motor depth gauge matched actual depth your motors are
(probably) sound.

BTW, I hang out with an ex-IBM'er and his IBM cronies.  I'll have to mention
one of his bretheren wants to be a psubber.  :-)

Cheers
Rick L
Vancouver