Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] shaft sealing questions and Mag-drives

Regarding magnetic couplers:
 I've seen some applications ( not subs but pumps in harsh environments ) that are coupled to 75 plus horsepower ( electric HP ) motors, and they are pretty much maintenance free.
I will be using Minnkota trolling motors at first, but will be upgrading to a mag-drive system when I'm confident the hull will take me to the depths I want to achieve.
When I find good things out there, I'll pass them along.
On another note.....What do you guys think of that fish/fin link that was posted? Pretty interesting huh? There was some mention of efficiency improvement over a propeller.....And I'm not surprised. I've never seen a fish with a propeller!!!
I HAVE seen some creatures with waving/undulating appendages but they didn't move very fast. The idea of a mechanical muscle really sets me to thinking.
I think one of the most beautiful and graceful creatures I've ever seen was a fluorescent red with yellow spots nudibrancht (sp?) in the water at Point Lobos marine sanctuary near Monterey , Calif.
It was about 2-1/2 inches long and the yellow spots were like neon lights that traveled down the undulating wing edges as it swam. Truly a special moment in my life.
Damn!!!!....I love this stuff. Frank D.