Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Viewport Question#2

Thanks Brian. That's how I came up with the 1/8 inch measurement. I figured the steel ring on my 20 inch main window can shrink in cold deep water by about 1/32 '' or maybe a little more, and the plexi can grow from it's room temperature size to when it's in the sun at about 80 degrees, by about 1/16 to 3/32. When I go deep, or cold like here in Calif. the temp can easily get down to 45 degrees. The plexi will shrink at the same time as the steel, only more, and more slowly due to it's mass ( 3 inch thick )
The 1/8 inch diameter under sizing of the plexi will give me about 1/64 inch of space when the plexi is at it's largest.( in the sun ? ) and the gap at depth in cold water shouldn't be any more than 1/16 when both pieces have reached temperature equilibrium.
The other two smaller widows at 12 inch are only 2 inches thick, and the gap on those could maybe be a little closer.
I won't be using an ''O'' ring on the widows, but instead plan on bedding the plexi in polyurethane. Of the windows I've seen on tourist subs and some of our groups subs, I just like the look of that type of seal. It is probably a judgement call, but I think it's gonna seal better, due to the fact it's got 7 inches of contact against the plexi edge,( 2 '' flange, 3 '' thick, and 2 '' face seal under the keeper ring.) where an ''O'' ring has 1/4 to 1/2 inch contact, plus the fact that the plexi will actually come in contact with the steel, which can't be good.
Still, I'll be taking Jon's advice and read the book. It never hurts to get more info, especially when it's from someone so respected as Stachinow.
I'll get some newer pictures up on Frappr soon, and you guys can see more what it's looking like.
Anyway, thanks for the advice, and have a great holiday. Frank D.

See AOL's top rated recipes and easy ways to stay in shape for winter.