RE: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Live aboard submarine yacht - affordable

Well there ya go Wil, you will just have to push ahead with your ideas and then truly see what the yachting community thinks about it, when properly exposed to the finished product. Of course there are almost limitless sizes and layouts for yacht interiors, so not everybody will like your choice of layout, but if they truly understand this, they will start to get your vision, as well as add there own to it.

I to love allot of windows in recreational boats, and as you well know Wil, you can make it pretty bright inside a sub with enough view ports in the right locations. It would be hard to compare to allot of large motor yachts window wise, but compared to sailing yachts you can easily compete window wise.

In regards to allot of windows in a luxury live aboard sub, I've been for some time thinking about various configurations of free flooding top side spaces with loads of windows. The windows can be from automotive sources, polycarbonate,  or  Acrylic.   Also a internal and external automated freshwater rinse system used shortly after you surface would be very useful in saltwater as well as in dirty freshwater locals.  Having a enclosed top side area is very nice for allot of reasons. Protection from wind, sun, rain and seagulls is a real plus.  Also with the right remote drive system, you can control the sub from a nice top side location when surfaced.

It might be possible since concrete sailboats are a well established and proven concept, to design a sailing concrete submarine with a telescoping collapsible mast and rigging system. Some of my first submarine ideas went along this line of thinking, but with a steel pressure hull and fiberglass outer hull.  But at the moment I truly favor the towing kite concept, much like skysails.com is working on.

One small disadvantage I see to a concrete sub vs. steel is that when surfaced you would have more freeboard weight to compensate for in ballast, to gain the same stability characteristics.

       "What would life be if we had no courage to attempt anything?"

                                                    ~ Vincent van Gogh

Regards,
Brent Hartwig