RE: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Boat-Sub makes successful test dive

Brent,

The Lake patent links lead me to search through the Patent banks and found a large number of Simon Lake patents that demonstrated his entrepreneurial spirit.  The scope included subs, salvage, engines, aircraft, concrete structures, and medical apparatus…it was really surprising.

Earlier this year had considered a position as maintenance manager for a SubCat S-30 that was to be refitted in Florida during a relocation from Greece to Antigua.  After review of the engineering and operation complications of the design, poor operating location, and 18% tax in Antigua backed out of the job.  If everything went OK with the overhaul, the submersible should be operational now.  Both diesel pods exhibited signs of heavy flooding after only a year of initial operation.  An excessively lengthy time was required to surfaces the sub completely so that passengers could transfer through the aft hatch vice the top hatch.  Due to this wasted time and the extreme amounts of air required to surface fully, fewer dives could be made in a day and this impacts negatively the  passenger load that can be carried in a given day.  It also resulted in lengthy air bank recharging during the night that would require competent attendance.

R/Jay

Respectfully,

Jay K. Jeffries

Andros Is., Bahamas

A skimmer afloat is but a submarine, so poorly built it will not plunge.