Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Re: Jim's through hull

Hi guys. I put a new sketch up on frappr for my through hulls. Basically it's a stainless nipple welded into the hull, sized for what goes through it. The electrical penetrators  are 3/4 inch, air lines are 1/2 inch, water lines are 1 inch, and hydraulic lines are 3/8 inch.
All penetrations/nipples have a ball valve on the inside, to isolate that line in case of leakage.
As the sketch shows, for the electrical penetrator, I'll use spade connectors with the wires going through the ball valve. If a leak develops, I will pull the wires and shut the valve after cutting power to that circuit.
The cost of this design is very low per penetration, and if I wanted to change one, or add or delete one, again very inexpensive. I can't really see how this can leak, and should be simple to fabricate. I like the idea of using those through hulls rated at 3000fsw but they are pretty expensive, and I think I need around 25 penetrations. That adds up to ALOT !
With the side thrusters, The spring loaded mount will fail in the vertical position. Each motor mount includes a dive plane/wing parallel with the motor so as I change the angle of the motor, the dive plane/wing is also in the same direction. With reversing motors, I'll be able to go up-down, forward-back, left-right, spin in a circle, and even tilt the sub a bit side to side. I haven't worked out the linkage yet, but plan on having a movable drop weight for tilt, although I think just moving inside the sub will do that too.
I can see the need for a rotating shaft penetration if you have a big electric motor inside the sub, but I'm just afraid if it sits at the dock for any length of time, and the shaft seal started leaking, you may find the sub at the bottom of the harbor come morning.

See AOL's top rated recipes and easy ways to stay in shape for winter.