RE: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Re: Jim's through hull

Another option is to just use more motors and forego hull penetrations for the motor shafts. Mount some vertical, some horizontal, and just deal with electrical connections.

Jon
-----Original Message-----
From: owner-personal_submersibles@psubs.org [mailto:owner-personal_submersibles@psubs.org]On Behalf Of ShellyDalg@aol.com
Sent: Monday, December 31, 2007 12:23 PM
To: personal_submersibles@psubs.org
Subject: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Re: Jim's through hull

Jim. I am taking a different approach to the rotating motor linkage. I'm just not that comfortable with a shaft penetrating the hull and using a seal there. I have a sketch on Frappr showing the side motor mounts (2) but basically I'm using a pressure cylinder to move the motor between horizontal and vertical. The through hulls are one for the electrical connection, and one for the hydraulic line. The master cylinder inside the sub will be hand operated like a brake pedal, coupled to a slave cylinder outside the sub which through linkage will rotate the motor to horizontal. The system fails with the motor in the vertical position.
Both through hulls have a ball valve on the inside, so if any leak occurs, I can isolate that line. In the case of the electrical through hull, I can pull the wires off the connectors and close the valve.
Here is the link to my frappr site. The cost of a small hydraulic cylinder is low, and the hydraulic connectors are usually good for 600 psi applications.
I'll also be using a similar approach for the rudders.
Frank D.