From: Smyth, Alec <Alec.Smyth@compuware.com>
Subject: RE: [PSUBS-MAILIST] the half pipe returns!
To: personal_submersibles@psubs.org
Date: Thursday, August 7, 2008, 9:14 AM

I'd be concerned about a couple of things here...

- Even if you use acrylic domes, with the coning towers that far astern you won't have visibility forward and down, which happens to be where it's most needed.

- The conning tower viewports are different in the two diagrams. Top diagram version is good, but bottom version is not from a stress concentration perspective. It would be OK if the window was cylindrical and went the whole way around the tower, but not if only half way round as shown.

- All I see for maneuvering is a horizontal and vertical rudders. That means you cannot maneuver at all unless under way, and probably underway at quite a good clip. Most of a time in a sub you will find you are almost at zero speed when submerged.

cheers,

Alec