Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] towing

Hi Dean. Glad to hear you're back at it. Towing is always a problem, and usually is pretty risky. I remember hearing of someone losing their sub while towing it. Bummer!!
 It seems that if your ballast tanks have full bottoms on them, that would help keep it up. Possibly have a temporary cap ( screwed on ? ) or butterfly valve on the open hole so water doesn't get in there. The hole in the bottom could be a 3 or 4 inch short threaded nipple, and a cap or valve could be threaded on. I wonder if putting a rear facing baffle plate over the hole would divert water away from the opening while traveling.
I plan on being able to mount an outboard motor to the back of my sub for surface travel. Probably around 20 horse. The surface boat can hold it while I'm diving. The rudder linkage for the two main Minnkotas will also operate the outboard steering.
Would it be possible to add a couple of pontoons to the front for towing? Maybe something like thin walled
12 inch pipe about 5 feet long. Make a mount that disconnects easily like a couple of tabs on the sub and some snap pins. Keeping the pontoons light enough to lift by hand into the support boat.
Maybe an inflatable pontoon ? Frank D.