Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Rudder control

I think vegetable oil will do fine but it may need to be changed periodically.  I have not heard of any problems with mineral oil.  Carsten tried turpentine in Sgt  Pepper and it damaged the wire insulation.  We used transformer oil in sewage station lift pumps and they ran for 12 years before needing to be replaced.  The brushes on your motors will be the most likely failure point.  There are some dielectric oils specifically designed for the purpose.  Please tell us what MBARI's recomendation is.  What a fantastic resource you have there.  --Doug

-----Original Message-----
From: ShellyDalg@aol.com
To: personal_submersibles@psubs.org
Sent: Fri, 15 Aug 2008 9:23 am
Subject: Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Rudder control

Hi Doug. I've often considered using oil compensation. I know it's popular with the guys and the "big outfits" like Alvin etc. use oil. I may end up using that as compensation after all. I will be finishing the sub, testing, and learning how to operate it for a while yet, so that decision can be put off for a while. I think a type of vegetable oil is used most commonly. Got any info on that? I'll go down and talk to the guys at the MBARI research station and see what they use. The have ROV's that go down to at least 4000fsw and it's real close to here. They are pretty friendly too. Sure would be nice to use their shop! Lots of cool stuff going on there.
Frank D.