From: owner-personal_submersibles@psubs.org [mailto:owner-personal_submersibles@psubs.org]On Behalf Of Jay K. Jeffries
Sent: Tuesday, August 19, 2008 4:55 PM
To: personal_submersibles@psubs.org
Subject: RE: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Re: The Dry Divers

The cue ball was handy and readily adoptable for the first manipulator.  Cue balls were originally made from ivory, then nitro cellulose (the first plastic but a touchy explosive they found out), and then plastic.  A ball valve will have a limited range of motion due to its standoff from the hull and will be difficult to work with due to the large diameter hole through the middle.  Stainless steel would be great for the ball but may be difficult to machine for the home machinist.

R/Jay

Respectfully,

Jay K. Jeffries

Andros Is., Bahamas

Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish.

    - Euripides (484 BC - 406 BC)