Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Re: The Dry Divers

Hi Brian. I looked at a few "ball valve repair" sites and it looks to me like you could take a large ball valve ( 2-3 inch? )apart, and use it to make the socket set-up. First off, the groove where the handle goes into the ball would need to be filled. Stainless weld, grind, and polish. Time consuming but not impossible.
    Next, you'd need to reduce the hole size. That's a little tougher. It should be possible to make a bushing for that with "o" ring grooves that seal the shaft going through the center. Again, weld that into the ball, grind, and polish.
    Now for the socket. With a "repairable" brass ball valve, the kind with 4 bolts holding the assembly together, you need to cap off the part where the handle exits the body. This can be done by brazing a plug into the collet and filling the space where the tab going into the ball was with a urethane sealant. Basically making a plug. Wax on the ball would keep it from sticking to the ball until cured. Now, if the threaded end outside the sub is cut off a little, leaving enough to keep the exterior part of the socket structurally sound, that would give enough radius for the shaft passing through the now smaller hole in the ball.
    Re-assemble the valve, and make a stop on the polished shaft so it can't be pushed into the sub. With the "o" rings installed inside the new smaller hole, slide the shaft through and thread the stop onto the shaft. Probably use a locking nut here, so it can't loosen up, and make sure there's no threads that can get near the first "o" ring. Maybe put a sliding bushing on there so only the polished part of the shaft enters the ball.
    Now with the finished ball and socket, it could be threaded onto a nipple welded into the sub hull.
Try looking at different "ball valve repair" sites and see what kind of parts are available. It should be possible to maybe use a mix and match method to find seals, sockets, etc. for something that would work. I'm still busy glassing my fairings, but I'll look around for a used ball valve that I can cut up and experiment with.
Frank D.