To: <personal_submersibles@psubs.org>
Sent: Thursday, August 21, 2008 3:51 PM
Subject: Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Re: The Dry Divers

Hi Glen

There are a lot of people on the list with more experience than me, but i will tell you what i know.

It really depends on how much you really want to do yourself and how much money you have to throw at the project. There's little point spending thousands on a huge lathe just to make 8 viewports and a few other bits. You could just out-source the machine work or borrow someone elses machines.

But, i know i like to do as much as i can myself.

So, depending on which parts of the project your going to make yourself will depend on what lathe you need.

The normal viewports are 9" OD so you'll need something that can handle at least 12" probably.

The large front port is 16" OD (I think) so again you'll need something around 18".

But its not just the swing, its the mass of the machine itself. My little Myford ML7 (now repaired) can allegedly turn 10" X 1.5" in the bed gap, but in reality there is no way it can turn anything that large with any accuracy. http://www.guernseysubmarine.com/index_files/Page13751.htm

Whatever lathe you get needs to be able to handle the size and weight of material. Look at John Farrnigtons page where he machines his large port. Looks like a Jet lathe and he seems to just be able to scrape the job done on this.

http://www.prismnet.com/~jrf/SubPics/image203.html

I used a long bed Colchester Triumph 2000 to make my ports which has a 22.5" swing in the bed gap and 15" over the bed. This machine was easily up to the job and i know would be able to turn the 16" port as well without issue. Im not making that port though. It will also be ok for the 12" battery pods that i need to do soon.

I'd love one of those machines myself, but i havent the room even if i could afford it. So i use a college workshop nearby as i know the guys there.

Found one on ebay just now and although i suspect it will have a reserve on it, for GBP 750 i'd go up to Oldham and drag it home.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Colchester-Triumph-2000-CNC-Lathe_W0QQitemZ270265789776QQcmdZViewItem?IMSfp=TL080816098a35980

http://www.p-h-s.co.uk/Colchester.htm

There is also the facing of the hatch and hatch ring to do, I believe Dan H did his himself but for me this was out of the question. I was forced to pay a professional engineering company to do it.

I suggest you try and get something second hand, as big as you can afford and fit in your shed!. Make sure its in good order as well as you might spend several weeks of your sub project fixing the thing up (like me).

Hope that helps,
good luck
James