[PSUBS-MAILIST] About my sub.

Hi,

so, I think most of you know the basic, it's around 200tonnes in displacement
(submerged) teardrop/albacore style hull, 19 meters long, 4.5 meters diameter
at the widest point.  The pressure hull weights approximately 130tonnes, with an
internal volume of around 140 meters^3.

I have a lots of space to play with, I also have some 70tonnes of "something" to
load into the sub to be able to submerge.  This does allow for lots of machinery
and equipment, but I get a feeling I'm still going to be looking for lots of
lead before the submarine will be able to achieve neutral buoyancy.

I'm thinking it will have 6tonnes of internal water ballast discharged via an
electric pump. 2tonnes (one at each end of the pressure vessel) of trim ballast
in pressure vessels which could be discharged via high pressure air. 3 to 10
tonnes of fuel. 4 to 20 tonnes of drop weights split into 4 weights.  Fore
and aft external ambient ballast tanks, not sure of their size yet, should
provide several tonnes of lift.  All of these things may change once I get
the hull and start fitting it out - these are just estimates so I have some
where to start with the balance and weights calculations.

Target operational depth 300meters with an unmanned dive to 600meters.
Although this could end up being much less.  Submerged endurance, a crew 4,
1 week mission time, 3 week emergency life support.  After reading about
Peter's 9 person crew, I'm thinking of increasing the crew size.

I've start putting together a website, this is mainly just where I take notes
for myself.  Many of the pages in the wiki (I don't like tiki wiki, need to find
something else) aren't link to anything yet, but I think the "rankings" page lists
all of them.  Check it out at: http://projectpetra.org

Oh yeah, don't both posting comments to the blog - you can communicate with me
via email and this list.

I'm not sure what it will be called in the end, I like the name Argonaut, but
might save that one for a future (bigger) submarine.

And we are going to have a party when it arrives.

I'll try and put some drawings on the projectpetra.org site so you can get
a better idea of what it looks like.

Cheers,
  Ian.