Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] active sonar for psubs

Hi,

thanks David for your sonar research and list input, much
appreciated and I hope there is more to come!  I'm interested in
playing with passive sonar at some point, and maybe getting the
HASAS project revived in some form (hasas.sf.net).

I have this fantasy idea of a nice active sonar for a psub, with a
nice UI (preferable in 3D rather than the '80s style 2D LCD display
they seem to come with).  I'm hoping to keep it cheap, but that's
still going to be a few thousand dollars.

Phase one:  INS positioning system.
Phase two:  Reverse engineer the protocol for a PC based sonar unit
and write a UI for it.

I'm trying to keep my notes here:
http://projectpetra.org/wiki/tiki-index.php?page=Navigation+System

Andy and Jay have been providing some valuable input and saved me
a bunch of time coming up to speed of the various technologies I
need to deal with.

Anyway, no hardware or software is done yet, I'll update the list
when something starts working... most of the work just now is reading
papers and trying to figure out which books to buy.

There is also Gary Boucher's "home made active sonar" presentation from
the 2004 psubs convention.

Cheers,
  Ian.