From: ShellyDalg@aol.com
Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2008 12:40:01 -0400
Subject: Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Stopping Flaps, deep flight
To: personal_submersibles@psubs.org

On top speed......it's just crazy to go faster than you can stop or maneuver, even with a good sonar. A lot of power is still good though, if you're fighting a current, or need a quick burst to avoid something. If a psub was searching the bottom for something, my guess is  2 knots or so is plenty. You can cover a lot of seabed at 2 knots over a two hour period.
   As for the deep flight, it's a cool sub but how useful is it really? No doubt it's fun to "fly" through the water, and is good for observing things, but if you wanted to "do" something down there,  it's not designed for that. The K boats are an ideal basic platform for that type of task. Slow moving, stable, and strong enough to withstand a hit.
   As for the "brakes" or flaps, that seems like it would create more problems than it will solve. How about an "air bag" type device for collision. It could lay flat against the hull, and if collision was imminent,  inflate it to lessen the impact. Maybe something like a big truck innertube. Better yet, how about a hard foam bumper. It could take a hit, get smashed a little, and be repaired fairly easily. Plus, it wouldn't add buoyancy like the air bumper.
    Anyway, much like all the things we design for these little subs, it's probably better to design the sub so it will take the hit, and during operations, don't do anything crazy like a full speed run in murky water. I know I'll be hitting the rocks a few times with mine, because of wave action, currents, and where I'm taking it. That's unavoidable. Maybe just some tubular guards would be enough to prevent any major damage, especially near the windows. Frank D.