RE: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Stopping Flaps, deep flight

Just a slight correction.  Flaps on planes are used to increase lift and reduce stall speed.  While lowered flaps do increase drag and therefore would slow down a plane without any additional increase in power, they are not intended to be used for slowing down.  You'll note that when a plane takes off, flaps are lowered even though the plane is trying to gain speed.

Jon

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-personal_submersibles@psubs.org [mailto:owner-personal_submersibles@psubs.org]On Behalf Of Brent Hartwig
Sent: Thursday, August 28, 2008 3:26 PM
To: personal_submersibles@psubs.org
Subject: RE: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Stopping Flaps, deep flight

Hi Frank,

The Deep Flight subs are much like a sports car, they tend to be for the enjoyment of the ride and the viewing of the scenery. Were the K boats are more like a small pick-up truck, for a larger variety of uses.  That's a large part of why I want to have use of my K-250 and my future sub called Batic THUWG  ( Trimaran Hydrobatic Underwater Glider).   Much like you have your car and motorcycle. Planes using flaps to slow them down for landing, is nothing new. I'd like to try it on my second sub. They move thru air, we move thru water.

Regards,
Brent Hartwig