RE: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Stopping Flaps, deep flight - Snoopy collision

I thought I'd elaborate on that collision scene, because there's obvious
lessons in it.

The camera was low in the cabin looking through the forward viewport,
but I was looking through the hatch dome. Unfortunately that means the
camera had an much better view than I did. I couldn't see the cable even
after hitting it, when I half got on the floor to look through the lower
viewport. The reaction time available to the pilot was zero, even though
visibility was considerably better than zero.

When that video was shot, I was using the two side thrusters for forward
propulsion. They have on/off switches and no speed control, so I use
them in bursts. But you just go too fast. I've since changed to using my
stern thruster for forward motion. Snoopy has a tiny stern thruster, and
unlike the side thrusters its wired with speed control. So now I can go
slowly. If I happened across that cable today I would still crash into
it, just more gently.

The other thing I've changed is buoyancy control. In the video I flooded
VBT until negative and then blew VBT until neutral after landing on the
bottom. That made for a nice descent shot, but isn't the way I'd
normally do things. I flood VBT until the apex of the dome is level with
the surface, and from then on unless there's a change in crew it's just
up and down all day using rotated side thrusters. In the sub I'm
building I'm planning on using only soft VBT, because there really isn't
any need to blow VBT at depth when you drive up and down on thrusters. I
suppose one may need to flood a tiny bit more if you hit a thermocline
on the way down. But the new sub also has a fixed vertical thruster with
speed control, which will make things even easier than in Snoopy.

Cheers,

Alec