[PSUBS-MAILIST] Dome Attachment Means Options

Greeting Subbers,

You might of noticed the the Deep Flight challenger has only one strap going over the dome to hold it down.   I didn't notice it right off, since it blends in some what.   If they do have a second one they have designed to be installed, it's not on in that picture.  The DeepWorker sub hatch domes look to have two straps, that are perhaps out of 316 SS.  The one on the challenger looks to be powder coated to me. I would expect that they also have some type of soft urethane or rubber gasket under the straps to make a nice soft connection.

As for what they use for a seal under the glass or acrylic domes I don't know.  I would guess it might be a hard urethane gasket.  I can't tell for sure but there looks to be a large metal lip inside the Deepworker's dome, for perhaps keeping the dome centered and helping keep the gasket from moving inside at pressure. Perhaps Phil will enlighten us, if we are really lucky. ;)'

http://bp3.blogger.com/_FlxDEKxj5U4/R8IeBNG7yII/AAAAAAAAACw/af_AI6qySU8/s1600-h/DSCN1308.JPG

Your resident  dome  holder   ;)'

Regards,

Brent Hartwig