Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Idabel and ABS

Hi Brent. I've had the same type of experiences with building inspectors. I can see the need for stringent requirements on any structure where people may be at risk, but sometimes the interpretation of the standards is left open to the individual inspector, often making it up to a person with little or no direct experience in that particular field to determine what is "up to code" and what isn't.
The process is basically the same, with plan review and step by step inspections, whether it be a house, a bridge, or a submarine.
Unfortunately, ABS has a monopoly on the process here in the U.S. and as such, can charge as much as they want.
 Alicia is a good example of how the process of obtaining a certification can become a costly and time consuming affair but remember that the sub was designed to take paying novice passengers into a potentially deadly environment so the safety factor must be extremely high. Alicia is much like that sub designed by U.S. subs and I can just imagine how many man hours it took to develop the design. Sure would be nice to have a check book that big.
Karl has a very robust sub, and like Peter, started small and learned along the way. That's pretty much the approach I'm taking as well. I've got tons of calculation sheets, many hours of design work for different portions of the sub and it's workings, and still have a long way to go but it's not near enough paperwork to even approach ABS. I'm a safety freak to some degree but my resources are limited so I'm relying on the testing phase to give me the confidence to dive my sub to it's design depth. I've gotta figure out a means of operating the sub and it's systems remotely so I can send it down empty ( connected to a cable of course )
and let it sit there for a few hours while monitoring the sub through onboard cameras. It's not that tough but it's going to be pricey. It's kind of screwey that ABS won't let Delta change their windows or what ever without re-certifying the entire design, if in fact that's the case. Governmental bureaucracy can be a pain no doubt, but they are just covering their ass. Fortunately for us, like ultra lites and similar toys, they allow us to take risks with our own lives as long as we don't kill someone else. It could be very stifling to innovation if everything that got thought up had to be approved by the government. I like to think of us as being similar to the Wright brothers. Adventure is where you find it! Frank D.