Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] ABS (re)certs

Frank, I think to change the view ports on the delta they will have to
cut out the existing view ports and put in new view port frames which can
retain view ports with an external ring.  There are view ports in the
conning tower, the front end cap, hatch and cylinder, replacing those
would involve cutting on almost every metallic pressure boundary.  It
comes as no surprise that ABS would require these changes to under go
the same scrutiny that is equal to the same components on a new hull.

The level of effort for the Delta team would be high, strip the hull
bare, cut out the existing viewports, weld in new view ports, do they
need to heat treat the hull?, once all the work was done, getting the
new welds x-rayed, re-assembling the hull, unmanned depth test, manned
depth, etc..  Maybe there is more testing that would need done, maybe
the current view port frames work out lighter than the new ones, so
balance calculations need to be checked, etc..

They've apparently already got what they want, ABS certification, unless
their current view ports are increasing long term operational costs,
it going to cheaper to keep them.

A for the ABS monopoly, I'm not so sure (could use Lloyd's if you wanted
to avoid ABS), these guys seem to offer USCG, US NAVY and ABS classification
vessel inspections (and don't appear to work for the ABS):
http://www.underwater-resources.com/index.html

Cheers,
  Ian.