Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Dome alternative - flat acrylic endcap

Hello d. Talk to Gregg Cottrell about what's available. I know you can get a 10 inch thick piece cast in one piece but it'll be expensive. Still, it's less than casting a 59 inch dome.
I've heard that tiny bubbles form on the "wet" outer dome. I am installing a 24 inch disk, and will have a 1 inch cover piece to deflect water while at the surface. I'm going to try using "Rain-X" and if I still get bubbles, a small water jet to blow them away when submerged should work.
To me, the reason to build a sub is the windows, so the expense is something that just needs to be justified.
Like Jim said, the 39 inch dome is the boundary where the cost jumps way up. I would suggest building a full size mock-up of your sub, and use that to determine the window size you need to accomplish your goal. Every sub is designed for a particular person's needs. You may find that 59 inches is larger than you need.
The aquarium near me has a window 13 inches thick, 40 feet long, 9 feet high.
If you've got a big enough check book, anything is possible. The sub Alicia has a big dome bonded to a tube and the cost to fabricate that was more than my house cost. I think the 5 man sub came in at $2.3 mil.
It's a beautiful boat and it will give you an idea of what it's like to look through a 59 inch window.
Here's a sketch of my sub with the 1 inch cover piece. Frank D.

Psssst...Have you heard the news? There's a new fashion blog, plus the latest fall trends and hair styles at StyleList.com.