Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] material availability.

Hi Glen,

since you are building a K350, which is pretty much a real
work horse, a fairly over built submersible, it might be
possible to use 6mm and still the view port Acrylic will be
the weakest part of the pressure boundary.  I believe there is
a spreadsheet available some where on psubs.org which can be
used to calculate possible failure depths/modes.  Also,
calculated the weight difference and add that to the static
ballast.

The other option is use 8mm, calculated the weight difference
between 6.35mm and 8mm, then remove that from the ballast to
still maintain the same overall weight.  This will change the
handling properties a little, with more weight around the
circumference rather than is lower down in the static ballast
area.  The vessel will be slightly more unstable.

Another option is to use 8mm and length the hull to increase
the volume and displacement enough to maintain the same
static ballasting proportions/center of gravity (increasing
the static ballast as needed).  This would probably be the
option I would pick.

I was raised in the UK, the moved to the US.  I switched from
metric to US system after a year or two of moving to the US.
Now I've switched back to metric and I'm much happier or maybe
just more comfortable designing/work that way.  I'm sure every
body has their own favorite system they feel most comfortable
using.  I do get some cold shoulders/brush-offs asking for
metal in mm around this area (California, San Francisco Bay Area).

Much the stuff I'm drawing up I try to calculated so that it will
still function with in it's parameters (e.g. test depth)
regardless if it's construction from metric or the closest US
system materials.

Cheers,
  Ian.