RE: [PSUBS-MAILIST] FW: New Submersibles Launched - September 2008

Hi Glen,

Basic stress is P x r/t .  ie Pressure times Radius of vessel divided by the thickness give or take.  With ¼ inch plate this is 11232 psi and with 6mm it is 11887. This is 5.83% more stress.   Both of these are well below acceptable ASME allowable stresses of 15000-18000.  It is the buckling under external pressure which is the concern for subs.  The ribs are conservative.  Check with the hull calculator.  You have several alternatives without getting stressed out over metric versus imperial.  I have been fighting metrication for years as I figure I am too old to change. The other alternative is to go with higher tensile plate.  516 Grade 70 has a minimum stress which if you look at the material test sheets is generally exceeded by 10-20% in actual strength.  Also ASME has a safety factor of 4 times generally and under FEA it is 1.5 times.  As you are not getting the hull certified you can creep around the edges.  If you are getting a design and construction certified then you have to abide by the rules to the last bit.  Hope it helps,  Hugh

Pressure

156

156

Radius