[PSUBS-MAILIST] Papenberg Depth Gauge #1

Michael

Let me start this diy-story by presenting a simple glass-to-metal
pressure-tight coupling that can be used in this design. Actually, we will
need two such couplings, i.e. one at each end of the view glass.

You could either machine something (from scratch) similar to what you see
in my sketch, or simply find a standard brass fitting suitable for this
type of modification. Just remember, when this thing is assembled, the
design should provide sufficient flexibility to minimize breakages of the
view glass.

The view glass could be, let say 5/16" OD [~8 mm]. However, we shall have
to decide its overall length at a later stage.

Oh, and the coupling should be bored (in the lathe), rather than drilled,
because the diameter of the cavity can then be made to fit exactly the
outside of the washer ring.

A rectangular section ring should be cut from a length of rubber or
neoprene tubing of such dimension that when fitted onto the view glass
tubing in the position shown - and compressed by the washer and nut - it
should form a preliminary seal. That is, any increase in water pressure
inside the system will compress the elastomer further, so this is actually
a self-tightening seal.

A swelling (mushroom) could be made on each end of the view glass so that
it would not pass through the backing washer, as this would normally
prevent the tubing from being ejected under pressure. However, in this
particular design the tubing will be firmly positioned between it's two
couplings (i.e. with no chance of being ejected). Therefore, the swelling
could very well be omitted. However, I would still recommend you dress the
rough cut ends of the final view glass using a blow torch.

Should you decide to go for swelling ends, then make sure that all washers
and nuts are inserted correctly onto the glass tubing prior to swelling
the final end of your view glass. If you forget this, you would simply
have to start over again with a new view glass, because there will be no
way to get those brass parts over any of your two perfectly made
swellings.

Sufficiently exact neoprene rings can be made by putting a suitable piece
of neoprene (or rubber) tubing onto a proper sized mandrel. Such a mandrel
should provide a snug fit with the tubing for best results, and the chuck
of the lathe must be clamped onto a section of the mandrel which is
covered by the tubing.

Use a sharp knife resting on the tool holder while the headstock is
rotating at slow speed. With a little practice, rings of reproducible
dimensions are easily made.

I believe this type of seal (and coupling) could be tested to at least 500
psi [35 bar], but don't you worry too much about such excessive water
pressures. The inlet valve of a Papenberg depth gauge should be closed
whenever you go deeper than it's maximum range, anyway.

Finally, if you do not have access to a small lathe, then simply use a
clear flexible plastic laboratory tube or hose in place of the view glass
- and fasten this at both ends using proper fittings with hose clamps.

Best regards,
Jens Laland

P.S.: to be continued...