RE: [PSUBS-MAILIST] MBT Vents

Uh Oh, I multiplied by 2 instead of dividing by 2. Sorry!

From: owner-personal_submersibles@psubs.org [mailto:owner-personal_submersibles@psubs.org] On Behalf Of ShellyDalg@aol.com
Sent: Wednesday, March 10, 2010 3:29 PM
To: personal_submersibles@psubs.org
Subject: Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] MBT Vents

In a message dated 3/9/2010 1:37:38 P.M. Pacific Standard Time, Alec.Smyth@compuware.com writes:
When you open those valves at depth, the pressure differential would be about 500 psi if this is say a 250 foot boat. Would you subject a rubber hose in a compression fitting to that sort of pressure?
I just wanted to make sure my limited math skills aren't way off.
 To determine pressure at depth you take the depth ( 250 ft. ), divide by 33 to get atmospheres, then multiply by 14.7 to get pressure ( 112 psi. ).
 Is this right ?
So if your max depth, not operating depth, is 500 feet, the max pressure is 223 psi.

Now let's get crazy......the pressure pushing down on a 24 inch diameter hatch at 500 feet is.......
radius squared ( 12 X 12 ) times pi for the square inches ( 452 ), times the psi ( 223 )............
100,831 pounds. Yikes !
Frank D.