Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Splash Shield

In a message dated 3/11/2010 8:47:35 A.M. Pacific Standard Time, vbra676539@aol.com writes:
George's catamaran used 40' X 3' cylinders and could carry diesels, pilothouse and a 3-ton sub with ease.
Hi Vance. 40 ft. X however wide is a damn big boat. Must have been hard to find a slip for it. I've never been in the ocean on a pontoon boat but they are very nice on the lake. Someone mentioned a while back that pontoon boats aren't good in the ocean, presumably because of wave action. I've always thought a pontoon/catamaran type hull was very stable. It seems a quick calculation would tell you how big it needs to be to carry the expected load. I think Dean's sub is considerably heavier than a "K" boat, so he might be talking about a pretty massive build if he is planning on carrying the sub on it. ( probably not )
I think Hugh was talking about building a similar craft but not really getting the sub right up on deck. By using the pontoon concept as a floating "dock" with a motor the size could be reduced, and by using slings or inflatable bags, a sub could be raised up enough for increased travel speed. Granted, you'd have to design in a pretty strong system where the sub would be lashed into place, and able to withstand some serious movement without tearing the whole thing apart. Still, it sure would be nice to have a big deck surface with a cabin/pilot house, a head, galley, and equipment space. Even just having the sub "park" in a little open slot at the end with a strong swivel joint so the whole thing could flex with wave action wouldn't be too tough or huge. A couple of 110 horse Merc's or even an inboard diesel would sure be nice to have. With some type of surface boat that's big enough to stay on for a few days, it would be great for dive excursions far from home port. My dream location is the Sea of Cortez. Hammerheads, big rays, El Roho Diablo's, and of course.....magaritas, tacos, and salsa music !
Frank D.