From: owner-personal_submersibles@psubs.org
[mailto:owner-personal_submersibles@psubs.org] On Behalf Of andy goldstein
Sent: Tuesday, 16 March 2010 12:43 a.m.
To: personal_submersibles@psubs.org
Subject: Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Desert Star Sport

Hi all.

A couple of points.

An echo-sounder, fish finder, etc. as normally installed would require
the surface vessel to be almost on-top of the sub.  A side scan
typically would require the surface boat to always be moving back and
forth with the sub broadside in order to image.  I think both would have
pretty sever operational challenges when trying to track a sub.

The sport/scout do require the receiver to be in the water.  As
delivered the sonar transducer and display electronics are co-located in
the same housing.  So, yes you would get wet when attempting to use if
from a surface boat.

It would be fairly simple to open up the receiver, disconnect the sonar
transducer from the display electronics, connect it to a coax cable, and
run the display electronics remotely (like on a pole or in the cabin).
This would void the warranty...  Remember that the transducer is
directional, so if it's rigidly mounted the relative positions of the
sub and chase boat would have to stay constant.  You could run spirals
or something if you lost contact.  If you do rigidly mount the receiver
I'd get a second one too.  That way if you had to send divers or an rov
down to the sub you could relocate it easier.

A configuration which would be more like the typical diver application,
would be to pinger on a pole off the boat, and the receiver on the sub.
The sub could always get back the surface boat without surfacing.

If you want to move up to a "real" tracking system.  There are lots.
Desert star has an sbl for about $10K, Linkquest was mentioned at $15K
for their USBL,  then there is sonardyne, tritech, applied acoustics,
ORE, ixsea.  I think that is everyone.  There are companies like
Asthtead which rent these systems, which may be an option.

If I had to had to have a fixed budget though I'd get other gear before
a nav system I think.

1) Comms, like a OTS phone or something
2) Altimeter/depth sounder on the sub
3) Some imaging sonar, scanning or multibeam if I had the $$
4) Surface beacon (strobe/radio)
5) SBL/USBL acoustic nav system.

--
Andy Goldstein