To: <personal_submersibles@psubs.org>
Sent: Wednesday, March 17, 2010 2:40 PM
Subject: Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Rudder angle indicator

Alan

Nice prototype... but the "arch" of resistors has to be connected across
the voltage you are using, i.e. one end to be connected to positive [+]
pole, the other to the negative [-] pole (i.e. GROUND), ref

ftp://ftp.artematrix.org/instrumentation/rudder_angle_indicator/SP11T-switch.jpg

When the magnet makes contact somewhere along this "arch", it is the
voltage between this magnet-contact-point and GROUND that my circuit is
"measuring". The measured voltage is supposed to be almost linear with the
rudder angle, and should be available on the SIGNAL WIRE at all times.

On your photo, the third wire seems to be missing.

============= Now to the "memory" ===============

Whenever the angle on the rudder falls between two contact points on the
arch of resistors we will have "blackouts" with no voltage on the SIGNAL
WIRE.

To remedy this I would monitor the SIGNAL WIRE as it enters the Rudder
Angle Indicator Circuit. That is, every time the SIGNAL WIRE regain its
voltage after a "blackout" then one of the LEDs are lit up immediately.

My plan is to use this transition (from zero volt to whatever value) on
the SIGNAL WIRE, to give me a delayed pulse (RC-circuit) that comes
available AFTER the LED array has been updated.

This pulse will then "clock" all the flip-flops (one flip-flop for each
LED) to remember their present status (i.e. ON or OFF). The flip-flop will
be placed between the LM3914's and the LED array.

Technically speaking, here the "status" will have to be understood as the
voltage level (HI or LO) into the "data" port of the flip-flop and not
should a LED itself be ON or OFF.

As you see, this will require a major redesign of the current prototype,
and require a lot more IC's to implement it all in hardware. But I think I
will wait and see what you end up with first - as it is easier to improve
your part, than my circuit.

In the meantime I'll make those two coils and see how things will work
using an inductive sensor in place of a potentiometer.

Best regards,
Jens Laland

our server receiving your request.

PSUBS.ORG