[PSUBS-MAILIST] Prestressed concrete pipe

I was recently reminded of my obsession with Eugène Freyssinet's advocacy of prestressed concrete for ship and submarine hulls by coming into possession of a copy of Nayyar's _Piping Handbook_. That book includes a chapter on prestressed concrete pipe which includes some information on its manufacture.

I compared the information in Nayyar's book to the prestress levels mentioned in the Smith paper on concrete hulls. There are significant differences.

For one, the commercial prestressed pipe uses only circumferential preload provided by high-tensile wire wrapped around the pipe and mortared in place. It makes sense: the pipe is designed to resist internal pressure. Longitudinal strength is provided only by a thin steel shell whose main purpose is to prevent leaks. Clearly, the product cannot be used as is for a submarine. It does not, however, appear impossible, or even especially difficult, to incorporate longitudinal prestress into the manufacturing process - more specifically into the manufacture of the (currently unreinforced) concrete core.

What really bugged out my eyes is the sizes of pipe that are commercially available; one type is made in internal diameters up to 3600 mm - 12 feet!

Marc de Piolenc
Iligan City, Philippines