Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Rudder angle indicator

Frank

I must confess: Your approaches have always fascinated me, and this one I
simply love.

Thanks...

Best regards,
Jens Laland

** I made a little sketch for a position sensor using three reed switches and
** 4 wires. When the magnet is over ONE reed switch it lights ONE LED. When
** the  magnet is over TWO reed switches it lights up TWO LED's.
** This is the mid-point between the two positions. This could give a total
** of
**  5 positions.......Full left, half left, center, half right, and full
** right. When  operating the rudder control it would be easy to tell how far
** it has
** turned by  how many and which LED's are lit. It would require a 4 wire
** thru-hull but  wouldn't use any electronics. The reed switches are TINY
** glass
** tubes and would  be easy to seal up as a unit in epoxy. By using single
** strand
** wire there would  be no leakage.
** Frank D.
**

--
In asserting which technologies are likely to be of crucial importance we
must also take due note of some spectacular errors that have been made in

"There is no likelihood that man can ever tap the power of the atom",
Robert Millikan, Nobel Laureate, 1923

"Heavier than air flying machines are impossible", Lord Kelvin, President
of the Royal Society, 1885