Sent: Thursday, March 18, 2010 8:01 PM
Subject: Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Rudder angle indicator

I made a little sketch for a position sensor using three reed switches and 4 wires. When the magnet is over ONE reed switch it lights ONE LED. When the magnet is over TWO reed switches it lights up TWO LED's.
This is the mid-point between the two positions. This could give a total of 5 positions.......Full left, half left, center, half right, and full right. When operating the rudder control it would be easy to tell how far it has turned by how many and which LED's are lit. It would require a 4 wire thru-hull but wouldn't use any electronics. The reed switches are TINY glass tubes and would be easy to seal up as a unit in epoxy. By using single strand wire there would be no leakage.
Frank D.