RE: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Rudder angle indicators

Hi Frank! Sorry about the late reply… work comes before play…

I’ve been looking into it and by the looks of things 4 wires is all that is needed for the thru hull…. VCC, Ground, and 2 wires for the quadrature signal… I’m currently drawing up a design for the encoder in some circuit design software, the only thing that needs to be done then is the signal translated and displayed on a screen, for this ive found some very very cheap microcontrollers with built in LCD screens so actual degree’s could be displayed!!! , which could be very easily programmed to do that… Also this would be capable of monitoring the position of more than one thing!!! You could do both rudder and stern dive planes… or motor pod angle etc etc… also this will sense full rotation, 360 degree’s! J

This is what I am using for a reference at the moment.. Theres some rather mind numbing electrical reading below… but it all makes sense and could be applied very easily…

http://www.boondog.com/tutorials/mouse/mouseHackBeforeWeb.htm

http://lims.mech.northwestern.edu/~design/mechatronics/2000/Team24/circuit.html

http://lims.mech.northwestern.edu/~design/mechatronics/2000/Team24/encoder_circuit.html

http://www.cyberresearch.com/content/tutorials/tutorial16.htm

http://www.fpga4fun.com/QuadratureDecoder.html

To make it water proof will be the only mean feat! J I assume there are already thru hull connectors on the market etc??? or someone has designed some?? What are they like? The wires needed to go to the sensors on the rudder/dive planes only need carry 5 volts and almost no current… Cat 5 network cable (8 Conductors) would be enough to do 2 axis of measurement…