[PSUBS-MAILIST] Rudder Indicator using 3 Reed Relays

Frank

I have been thinking about (and playing around with) your idea of using
just 3 reed relays and a magnet to get some positive confirmation on
actual rudder position.

So I put together a digital decoder (implemented in hardware), based on
the following criteria:

The magnet would either active one or two relay(s) at any one moment, and
the legal combination (values) is:

Full Port       [100]
Half Port       [110]
Midships        [010]
Half Starboard  [011]
Full Starboard  [001]

The following values are illegal: [101], [111], [000].

Basically, the circuit has 5 LEDs (RED, RED, ORANGE, GREEN, GREEN) plus
one blinking red LED to indicate any of the three illegal conditions as
ERROR, ref attached image to this mail, as well as...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uXplMZygImo
http://traktoria.org/sub/reed-relay_assembly.jpg

Best regards,
Jens Laland

PS. My previous version of this message was obviously to large due to
attachments, sorry about that.