Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Rudder Indicator using 3 Reed Relays

I can't remember how Perry did it, but it was some kind of potentiometer on the rudder shave and the indicator itself was was electric with its readout in the PCC (pilot's control consolette) and it was really handy to have. I don't think the spaced readouts would do much for you if they are either on or off. Too much time is spent shifting things back and forth. You need to know exactly where the thing is pointed, or that particular point is lost. Live steering (movable thrusters without control surfaces) are even more critical than a rudder. The sweet thing about Perry's big barn door rudder was just what you think. Good control. The readout told us exactly where the rudder was. And that let us maneuver (at slow speeds especially) without having to crawl around and look, and with no guessing.
Vance

-----Original Message-----
From: Jens Laland <laland@artematrix.org>
To: personal_submersibles@psubs.org
Sent: Fri, Mar 26, 2010 7:21 pm
Subject: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Rudder Indicator using 3 Reed Relays

Frank

I have been thinking about (and playing around with) your idea of using
just 3 reed relays and a magnet to get some positive confirmation on
actual rudder position.

So I put together a digital decoder (implemented in hardware), based on
the following criteria:

The magnet would either active one or two relay(s) at any one moment, and
the legal combination (values) is:

Full Port       [100]
Half Port       [110]
Midships        [010]
Half Starboard  [011]
Full Starboard  [001]

The following values are illegal: [101], [111], [000].

Basically, the circuit has 5 LEDs (RED, RED, ORANGE, GREEN, GREEN) plus
one blinking red LED to indicate any of the three illegal conditions as
ERROR, ref attached image to this mail, as well as...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uXplMZygImo
http://traktoria.org/sub/reed-relay_assembly.jpg

Best regards,
Jens Laland

PS. My previous version of this message was obviously to large due to
attachments, sorry about that.