Sent: Saturday, March 27, 2010 2:13 PM
Subject: Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Rudder Indicator using 3 Reed Relays

Hi Jens and Vance. I like the different colors, making it simple to see left/right in the dark. Not being an electronics guy, I'm wondering what all the other devices located on the PC board are for in the Youtube video. Are these required to use logic to sense what an "illegal" position is and there by light up the "error" LED ?
Here's a another little sketch of my concept for the "three reed" set-up. I didn't use any electronic parts 'cause I don't know what they would be used for. (Sorry, not too bright with that stuff. )
Now as Vance said, if you desire to know more exactly where the rudder or dive plane is pointed you can add more LED's but of course that means more wires in each thru-hull.
The potentiometer thing has only three wires for a full range of movement but if I understand Alan's description, it has a ball bearing running down the groove to make contact between the two electrical tracks.
I've no clue how you would prevent such a device from getting squeezed. Even a tiny bit of compression would surely freeze that part. I'll wait and see if Alan gets a prototype together, and subjects it to a pressure test.
Still, you gotta figure with one sensor for rudders, another for each dive plane, and possibly another for up/down vectoring on a nozzle, you're up to 4 thru-hulls and a BUNCH of wires.
I  kinda like Vance's idea of a strictly mechanical device with a hard cable and an indicator sitting just outside the window. Not much to go wrong there if it's lubricated. It can get pretty dark down deep so maybe a light would be needed to see the indicator unless you had cabin light shining out the window.
Frank D. e to make contact between the two electrical tracks.