Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Rudder Indicator using 3 Reed Relays

Hi Alan. Yes, a motorcycle boot could work. I looked at a couple of those and finally chose the ones I have because of the small end diameter matching the push rod on the actuator.
As for the fiberglass, I'm not sure how I'd get a "full cover" boot to seal where the wires come out the back of the actuator and I wanted the extra strength of a fiberglass casing.
I'm glad to hear your potentiometer is working. With only three wires and basically infinite increments across the arc it would answer Vance's concern for a more accurate display of rudder position. That's an innovative design and sounds like you've found the solution. Good work !
I'll be watching for the combination of yours and Jens collaboration. It's a device that other sub guys could incorporate in their controls and will be a welcome addition on the projects page.
Frank D.