Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Rudder Indicator using 3 Reed Relays

In a message dated 3/27/2010 12:22:13 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time, vbra676539@aol.com writes:

Frank,
Cool. Is there any reason these things would operate with oil compensation? It would be dirt simple to do.
Vance
Hi Vance. Yes, I'm planning on using oil compensation. I'll need a bladder because of the large amount of oil that gets displaced, but like you said, should be fairly simple. The inside "guts" of these things are real simple. A tiny motor, gear reduction, and a screw rod. No reason it shouldn't work with oil in it.
There are LOTS of different actuators out there. Some are VERY strong and they come in lengths up to 30 inches or so. Speed is a factor to consider. Generally the slower they are the more push they have due to a greater gear reduction. Some even push thousands of pounds.
Frank D.