Re: Club Info

Ray.Keefer@eng.Sun.COM writes:

<<  In this medium it is VERY easy to misunderstand someone.
 There are no audio or visual clues as to what someone is really trying to
 communicate.  >>

I have to agree, because I have been misunderstood here also, and it hurts.  I
think John Schestag is feeling pretty vulnerable (with good cause) and needed
a boost.  I know this group well enough to know that no harm is ever intended
(and we work hard to prevent people from causing harm to themselves due to bad
design) but John Schestag is understandably very sensitive and took umbrage
when no insult was intended.

Ray, don't beat yourself up over it.  John didn't understand that the comment
you made was not personal.  This is a sub group, not a cancer support group.
I feel for him, and I'm sure we all do, but it's difficult for us to relate to
the trials he is facing.  No harm and no insult was intended, and none should
have been taken, but given the gravity of his situation, it is easy to
understand his sensitivity.

So, John, if you're reading this, please forgive the unintended affront.
We're a group of (mostly) guys chatting about something we're interested in
and often baffled by.  Nobody meant to run you off, but some don't realize how
short life can be, and how important the opportunity to laugh is.  I, for one,
would like you to stay with us as long as you can, especially since you are,
first of all, a personal submariner yourself.  The purpose of this group is to
be responsive to one-another, and I hope we can all be there for you too.

I miss you already John, and I don't think anyone here wanted you to leave us.
The only intent was to remain focused on our charter, but I would hope not by
losing our humor or humanity.  This should be a brotherhood, not a business,
and that is why I have objected to the push for incorporation or
regimentation.  I think of us much like the Experimental Aircraft Association
(EAA)... maybe the Experimental Submersible Association (ESA?)  We should be a
support group, not a corporation.

Maybe my opinion is not popular, but the choice is for the group to make.  I
would suggest that John Schestag could've ( would've, or will?) give this
group value beyond the 'nuts and bolts' we get trapped in.  And, John, I would
suggest that removing your discourse from the record is a mistake.  We've lost
that part of you and what you tried to offer this group.  Nobody wins,
everybody loses.  The effort should've been on record, and I'm sorry now it's
lost.

I ask the rest of you to reconsider what we're all about.  I suggest this is
better conceived as a brotherhood than an enterprise.  A logo, yes.  A
charter, yes.  Articles of Incorporation, NO!  Let this association be of  the
heart, for the safety and the promotion of the SPORT and RECREATIONAL use of
submersibles.  Design and production are best left to developers and
producers.  Let's offer guidance and support, not products.

But I think I'm in the minority.  Maybe at least we can reflect on what PSUBS
should be.

Stan