Re: A sub question

On Tue, 8 Sep 1998 15:54:24 -0700, "Morrisson, Richard D"
<Richard.Morrisson@PSS.Boeing.com> wrote:

> The reason I ask is I am exploring a somewhat different design for a one
> person sub which involves vertical (standing upright) ascents/descents
> and a transition to horizontal (prone) once at depth (to a "Deep Flight"
> style craft).  My idea is to minimize the cost of the structure and to
> maximize streamlining at the same time.

Now you've got me thinking... :-)

I'm curious, have you thought about the problems with respect to keeping
the center of buoyancy high enough so the sub sill stay upright on the
surface, and then even it out for when submergerd horizontally? Could you
use some kind of inflatible external bladder for this that you would only
deploy while surfaced?

Are you thinking of a having a sub that is positively buoyant, like Deep
Flight is? If you're looking to minimize the cost of the structure, it
would be hard to be simpler that something like that.

I spent a lot of time thinking about designing something like Deep Flight
(for shallower depth than what it can do, however), but the very problem
you are attemping to solve here is why I stopped... Being able to
launch/recover by yourself is a necessary part of a "personal submersible",
as far as I'm concerned...

Later,
Jon

   Jon Hylands      Jon@huv.com      http://www.huv.com/jon