Re: A sub question

Hi Richard,

I brought my ABS book to work with me today. The answer is found:

Page 3/4, Section 3.19 Buoyancy, Emergancy Ascent, and Stability, Subsection
"a" Intact Surface Stability. [Summarized.]

Must have at least one hatch.

Stablity must be that under the worst loading conditions (most weight carried)
you do not roll enough to ship water down your open hatch under sea state 3
conditions.

And, the minimum height from water line to hatch coaming can not be less then
2.5 feet.

If you want to be ABS certified you must comform to their specs. If you just
want to use the ABS specs as a guideline then you can fudge a bit. Personally
I will follow ABS specs as close as I can. In any case if you are seriously
into building your own submersible then the ABS book is well worth the money.

Regards,
Ray