RE: Thru hull seals

John,
I wholeheartedly agree.  I am always looking for something that's
already in use for my designs.  The automotive industry is a prime
source for many mechanical items.  Experimental aircraft enthusiests are
using the engines, machine designers are using the brakes, and so on.
Modern hydraulics as well involves so much research and development, it
is rare to design a component which exceeds the performance of COTS
(commercial off the shelf) items.  As far as list of suppliers goes, I
find myself using McMaster-Carr and Grangers as a starting point quite
often.  Both of these are good idea books as well.  For hydraulics, get
a few catalogs on seals, valves, and fittings from your local Parker
Hannifin representitive.  Swagelok makes a top of the line selection of
valves, fittings, hoses, and adapters.  Yes, please do start a list,
I'll add to it.
Richard