Re: A sub question

Alan D. Secor wrote:

> I hope everyone who is considering a positively buoyant design such as
> "Deep Flight" keeps in mind that since forward motion is required to
> stay submerged, then water visibility plays a MAJOR factor in this type
> of design.  I would hate to have to sustain a 2-3 mph forward velocity
> to remain submerged in some of the lakes around here!!

I have thought about this a bit. I think a wise investment would be to
have some type of sonar scanner pointed straight ahead, hooked up to an
alarm system. Anything solid enough to do pressure-hull damage should
show up with a sonar profile. I'd probably use a small single-board
computer to do the sonar analysis, and use a fairly wide beam low
frequency sonar to get decent coverage.

AUVs have exactly the same problem to deal with, except they must rely
soley on sonar information for collision avoidance. Of course, the
stakes are somewhat lower for an AUV versus a person's life, but it is
still the same problem that has to be solved.

It also wouldn't hurt to have some powerful lights mounted, pointing
forward.

Later,
Jon

 Jon Hylands      Jon@huv.com      http://www.huv.com/jon