Re: A sub question

Alan D. Secor wrote:

> I hope everyone who is considering a positively buoyant design such as
> "Deep Flight" keeps in mind that since forward motion is required to
> stay submerged, then water visibility plays a MAJOR factor in this type
> of design.  I would hate to have to sustain a 2-3 mph forward velocity
> to remain submerged in some of the lakes around here!!

That's an excellent point.

Another consideration is current.  Up here in BC we have some nasty ones; some areas average about 9+
knots!
Being negative works well heading upstream.  Imagine, however, if you have to head downstream.  Add
the required forward speed of the sub (for dynamic diving) to the speed of the current.  The end
result is a real gallop.  Talk about collision avoidance.

What was that remark about visability?   :-)

Mind you, that would be a great thrill ride: ADDING 3 knots to a 9 knot current.  I can see it now.

--
Rick Lucertini
in Vancouver, Canada

"To a rational being it is the same thing to act according to nature and according to reason."

    Marcus Aurelius Antoninus, 121 - 180 a.d.