Re: pressure hull design (Fwd)

John Brownlee wrote:

>         Bill,
>
>         Well, strictly speaking I'd need one one other variable, the
> diameter of your pipe.  Not that it will probably matter at 5/8" steel,
> though. For the sort of dives you are talking about, your margin of safety
> is positively huge for a cylinder with any reasonable diameter, as you are
> aware. When someone starts talking about spheres to me, I usually connect
> that with deep operating depths where it's usually worth the caution.
>         My intention was not to imply that common sense is non sequitur,
> but that if you -really- want to know what the theoretical crush depth is
> often times a formula won't give an accurate result alone. For me, doing
> the calculations is one of the only good things to come from a painful
> history of nasty math courses, so I like to. Conservative thinking can
> certainly be just as good as any wad of equations.
>

>                                                         John
>
> John Brownlee
> Lunar and Planetary Lab
> University of Arizona
> jonnie @ lpl . arizona . edu

  thanks for the kind remarks.. I can see you are realy thinking this
through.  Your remarks are well taken, I just wanted to see if I was
missing anything... I am trying to be very conservative.  The pipe is 42
inches in diameter, and will be 7.5 feet long.  I have a 3foot diameter
piece for the conning tower (if that is the right word), and it is 5/8
thick also..