Re: pressure hull design (Fwd)

Alan D. Secor wrote:

> Bill,
>
> Just curious where you came across the pipeline pipe and how expensive it
> was.  Also, I'm a bit confused about your description of the ends....
> If I understand right, what you describe would be a "half" cylinder on
> the ends.  If this is right, the what seals the ends of the "half"
> cylinder?
> Flat metal??  I can't picture hoe you would essentially attach a rectangle
> to a circle.  Maybe I'm picturing it wrong or misunderstood your
> description.
> At any rate, I would expect hemispherical ends ala a propane cylinder
> would
> be optimal.
>
> Regards.......Al

Well thanks guys for the kind remarks. I think I am on the right track
for what I want to do, but always like to get other opinions...I got the
pipe from a pipeline place that was selling it for scrap.. It was a new
piece, as in never used, and the scrap price was right..It will be
cheap.... we are still working on the final price...  it is 11 feet long
and 42 inches in diameter.. as for the end, Ill try and explain it
better.. if you took an apple and cut it in half, then half again, you
would have 4 identical pieces looking like the smile of a cheshire cat
if you turned it sideways... take the hull, and cut the right curves out
of the side, so from the side, it looked like a big fish with its mouth
open, then weld the two together... sorry that is the best I can do.. I
have done this with a scale model, and it looks like it will be ok.. Ill
send a picture of my scale model if there is still confusion..(actually,
after reading my latest explanation, I am sure there will be confusion..
I am confused...)  I plan to use a 7.5 foot pressure hull.  I agree the
hemispherical ends would be great, however I havent found any cheap
yet... but am still scrounging....