Re: battery boxes

VBra676539@aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 6/30/99 3:11:42 AM, empiricus@sprint.ca writes:
>
> <<
> Were the Al2 endcaps sheet or concave?  How thick?  Why not use standard PVC
> endcaps?
> >>

> Sorry, missed this question. The endplates were flat aluminum, about 3/4"
> thick as I recall, with a couple of pipe nipples screwed into drilled and
> tapped holes for power and for leak detectors. Each plate had 4 "ear tabs"
> and 4 long rods with a nut at each end threaded through and holding the whole
> thing together. Pods were 48" long, best I can recall, and had not internal
> ring stiffeners, although there was some discussion of machining aluminum
> rings (1" X 1" in cross section) and just sort of squeezing them into each
> pod on 16" centers, but as far as I know this was never done.
> Vance

Thanks for the idea. I like the idea of plastic for battery housings because of
the acid that always seems to find a way to get out of any lead acid battery.  I
may just try this if I ever move my batteries outside the main pressure hull.
You can even put the rings on the outside if the pipe is to small to put them
inside. This will still add to the depth rating even if they are just slipped on
over the pipe. If you don't think having them on the outside helps much then try
this. Take a plastic pop bottle and carefully make 3 cardboard rings that just
fit around the bottle snugly. Now try to suck the air out of the bottle with and
with out the rings on it. I think you will see a big difference in the crush
depth. It worked for me.
Jonathan Shawl