Re: Submarine Movie? or TV?

>..submarine called the "Huntly"?, that had several sailors turning
>the prop's crankshaft by hand...or some old civil war vessel?

He's probably watching a PBS show on subs that originally aired a
couple of years ago.  I can't attest to the name of the sub, but
it was made of wood and held 10-15 people.  As I recall, it was
human powered and delivered explosive charges to the bottom of
ships.  I don't recall how they set them off without killing
themselves in the process.  I believe however, that the sub you
reference pre-dates the civil war.

Although it did not dive very deep, most of the crew did not know
how to swim and it certainly was a leap of faith to enter one.
But then again, they were probably shot for dereliction of duty
if they refused.  Go Navy!!